[Tweeters] Mt. Rainier hike and birds

Dave Hayden dtvhm at nwrain.com
Sat Sep 27 22:15:40 PDT 2008

Sherry and I hiked the Skyline trail today. Not a whole lot of bird activity, but the weather, views, and mammals made it all worth while. One thing that was fun to watch were 2 young deer chasing the family of Sooty Grouse. The deer seemed amused with them. We just stood there motionless and the deer and grouse came within just feet from us without a care. The following is a list of what we saw during our hike.

Red-tailed Hawk - 2
Cooper's Hawk - 1
Sooty Grouse - 5 (1 male, 1 female, 3 younglings)
Hairy Woodpecker - 1
American Dipper - 1
American Pipit - lots
Stellar's Jay - 1
Gray Jay - several
Raven - 22 circling all together (Hiker down ??)
Mountain Chickadee - several
Red-breasted Nuthatch - several
Brown Creeper - 1
Golden-crowned Kinglet - several