[Tweeters] Eagle just misses a wigeon and a showoff otter at Nisqually

Rob Sandelin floriferous at msn.com
Sun Apr 5 14:38:16 PDT 2009

Did the long loop at Nisqually wildlife refuge for the last time today as I
understand the long loop closes forever in a couple of weeks. Everybody was
singing, even the ducks. On McCallister Creek an eagle made a couple of
dives at a lone American Wigeon. The wigeon was smart, or lucky and took off
flying full tilt as the eagle was at its furthest orbit on its turnaround
loop. The eagle gave chase and came at the duck from above at an angle but
only got within a couple of feet before the duck outdistanced it and the
eagle pulled up. I think that is the fastest I have ever seen a duck fly.
Later upon returning to the VC there was a crowd on the walkway up to the
front door, and in the little pond in front, maybe 20 feet from at least 40
people, A river otter snacked in the full open sunshine on a bullfrog. The
crowd was anything but quiet but the otter seemed nonplussed by all the

Rob Sandelin
Naturalist, Writer, Teacher
Snohomish County