[Tweeters] Marymoor Park correction

Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at verizon.net
Thu Apr 9 13:31:59 PDT 2009

Anyone have some hot sauce, or a least a whole lot of ketchup? I need to
eat some crow...

The "Great Horned Owl" that we reported two weeks ago? Evan Houston was
looking at the photos on my blog and discretely emailed Matt yesterday to
say he thought it looked more like a LONG-EARED OWL. And of course he was
right.

All I can say in my defence is that (a) the bird looked *anything* but
slender, and (b) I initially identified it by silhouette rear view. When we
walked around to the front of the bird, closer, I think everyone had some
question about the ID, but nobody got out their books to try to contradict
my first call.

Ooops. One really needs to pay attention to that niggling voice inside your
head that you always ignore at your peril.

Anyway, with today's Barred Owl, we've now had seven species of owl at
Marymoor Park in 2007. (Matt had a previous sighting, and had HEARD a GHOW,
at Marymoor this year, so it's still on the year list).

Mea Culpa.

== Michael Hobbs
== Kirkland, WA
== http://www.marymoor.org/birding.htm