[Tweeters] accipiter at the Fill

Byers byers345 at comcast.net
Sat Apr 18 11:58:44 PDT 2009

Hi, Tweeters,

My husband and I were at the Montlake Fill this morning
(Saturday). While trying to locate a pair of Downy Woodpeckers we had heard
in the tall alders (I guess that's what they are) near the swing set frame,
an accipiter flew into the top of one of the tall trees. All I could see of
the accipiter was its tail, which looked long and squarish, and its general
paler coloration and smallish size. Before we could get a better look it
flew off to the west. I wondered if anyone else at the Fill this morning
about 9-9:30 happened to see this bird and could tell whether we saw a
Cooper's Hawk or Sharp-shinned Hawk. If so, could you please let me know?
Many thanks.

Charlotte Byers, Seattle