[Tweeters] Western bluebirds and more.!

debsstuff at comcast.net debsstuff at comcast.net
Sat Apr 18 20:27:56 PDT 2009

Hi all,

We were up by the Wenas area today and stopped by the turn off to the campground to stretch and have a pop.  We were seeing western bluebirds all  day but getting a good picture of one was hard.  When we stopped they would fly off before I could get the camera out the window. I got a couple  not so bad pics so I was mostly happy.  There was a beautiful pair right at the turn off but they also flew away.  But this pair came back - over and over again.  In fact we couldn't get rid of them!  I don't know if they were defending their territory or what.  They were in the windows, mirrors, tailgate, hood, antenna, rear window you name it.   Several minutes and pictures later we decided to leave because we were afraid they would hurt themselves.  Here's a couple of the better pictures I took:

Some other highlights of the day was a group of about 30  American white pelicans on the Yakima River just below Rosa Dam and a pair of wood ducks in a small pond by the boat launch / park just above Rosa dam.  There is a great view of a pair of osprey just before you enter the canyon on the Ellensburg side.  The great horned owl on Reecer  Creek road now has some company - her two babies!

Happy birding

D. Lewis

North Bend, WA

Debsstuff atcomcast dotnet