[Tweeters] Follow-up: Carkeek Accipiter ID question

Jon Leland jon_leland at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 18 20:45:09 PDT 2009

Good evening, fellow tweeters:

Thank you to everybody who provided so many helpful comments to my posted question last week regarding the hawk I saw at Carkeek Park. Today I was walking along the same trail, and noticed that our friend was back in the same tree busily enjoying a feathery snack.  I was able to snap some much clearer pics this time, particularly of the head and undersides.  It seems pretty clear to me now that this is indeed a Cooper's Hawk, not a Sharp-Shinned.

For those who are interested, I posted the new images on Flickr at http://www.flickr.com/photos/10136838@N02/sets/72157616930504677/detail/

Also spotted along the same trail:

Song Sparrow
Anna's Hummingbird
Black Capped Chickadee
Chestnut Backed Chickadee
Downy Woodpecker
American Robin
Northern Flicker (Red Shafted)
Spotted Towhee
Bewick's Wren
Marsh Wren
Steller's Jay

I hope you all were able to take advantage of the beautiful day today and made lots of interesting discoveries of your own!

Warmest Regards,

Jon Leland
Seattle WA
jon (underscore) leland (at) yahoo (dot) com