[Tweeters] Notes from Roy - 4-21-2009 - Winnowers, Sora, and Common Yellowthroat+

Denis DeSilvis avnacrs4birds at q.com
Tue Apr 21 06:40:17 PDT 2009

Tweeters,

A crystal-sky-morning with the glow of sunrise, Venus, and a
just-past-last-quarter moon above Mt. Rainier, with at least three different
WILSON'S SNIPE winnowing to the east above a heavy, low-hanging fog that
extends up and down the wetland. Lots of WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS, SPOTTED
TOWHEES, AMERICAN ROBINS, and roosters sounding off.

SORA, COMMON YELLOWTHROAT, AMERICAN GOLDFINCH, and CLIFF SWALLOWS all joined
the Spring list of birds in the past two days. Fifteen nest boxes have TREE
SWALLOWS in attendance, and a CHESTNUT-BACKED CHICKADEE was investigating
one of the Violet-Green Swallow boxes on the garden shed. It looks as if the
KILLDEER nest was predated, but after a day-long absence, a pair is back,
with displays and piping.

COWBIRDS are now here, with their squealing song; and lots of RED-WINGED
BLACKBIRDS are feeding both in front and back. The EUROPEAN STARLINGS are
feasting on something out back, and having an easier time of it now that the
grass has been (finally!) mowed. It looks as if all the CALIFORNIA QUAIL
have set territories, and I wouldn't be surprised if nests aren't already in
progress amongst the various blackberry patches.

As I stood on the path next to the wetland yesterday evening, with the Soras
and Virginia Rails tuning up, I heard a snipe winnowing behind me. I finally
located it, and watched it take a shallow roller-coaster flight-tail-spread
on the down-slope-course that ranged from near the property lines to the
north and south, about half-way across the wetland to the east, and about 50
yards from the wetland to the west (and over my head). Later, two snipe
vocalized extensively after dark, joined occasionally by a Sora - with a
heavy background sound-wall of frogs.

While watching the snipe, I also kept hearing a RUFFED GROUSE someplace on
the neighbor's property, but just couldn't locate where the sound was coming
from. I'd have to confirm it before I listed it for the year - had one here
two years ago.

I haven't seen the EURASIAN COLLARED-DOVE since Saturday late-afternoon when
I went out to fill some feeders.

Here's a quick list (without numbers) of birds seen yesterday at our place:

American Wigeon (seems late)

Mallard

Northern Shoveler

Northern Pintail

Green-winged Teal (most common duck right now here)

California Quail

Bald Eagle

Northern Harrier

Sharp-shinned Hawk

Red-tailed Hawk

Virginia Rail

Sora

Killdeer

Wilson's Snipe

Rock Pigeon

Mourning Dove

Rufous Hummingbird

Red-breasted Sapsucker (pair(?) displaying)

Downy Woodpecker

Northern Flicker

Steller's Jay

Western Scrub-Jay