[Tweeters] Twin Lakes Red Crossbills -AGAIN

Hans-Joachim Feddern thefedderns at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 13:50:36 PDT 2009

At about 12:15 pm this afternoon, Tuesday April 28th, on my exercise walk
through the Twin Lakes neighborhood, I noticed an unusually large amount of
thumbnail size pine cones on the sidewalk in front of a neighbors house on
36th Avenue SW. Even the rain last night could not have knocked all of them
down. As i watched more kept coming down and scales from the cones wee
drifting to the ground. It finally dawned on me what was causing this :
CROSSBILLS! I was treated to excellent views from about 20 feet away, of at
least 15 RED CROSSBILLS in various plumage with several red males, busily
feeding and constantly moving from branch to branch. It was difficult to get
an accurate count, but after 15 minutes something spooked them and the flock
flew about 100 yards down the road. It revealed a larger flock of at least
25 plus birds
I was wearing my "amplifier" speak hearing aid today, but still did not hear
any vocalization from these birds. What a sight though!

Good birding!

Hans Feddern
Twin Lakes - Federal Way, WA>