[Tweeters] Fall migration starting at the Montlake Fill

Evan Houston evanghouston at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 4 10:51:00 PDT 2009

Hi Tweets,

Fall migration was evident today at the Fill. I didn't find anything rare, but it was nice to see the variety start to pick back up.

The main pond had 4 species of shorebird - 2 Long-billed Dowitchers and Killdeer, and 2 Spotted and about 5 Least Sandpipers, including at least one bright juvenile.

Most exciting for me was a bit of time spent near the SE point, which affords views of the entire bay. A large bush just N of the point seemed quiet at first, but then I realized a perched Rufous Hummingbird was staring at me. I've looked for this species at the Fill many times before, but this was my first time seeing it. The bush also held a female Yellow Warbler and a Warbling Vireo. One other migrant encountered today was a Black-headed Grosbeak.

The burn area, especially near the main pond, was hopping with seed eaters today, as it has been ever since the burn last week. As Connie has also mentioned, this area looks to have great potential to turn up a few sparrow and allies rarities during fall migration, though all I could find today were House Finches, many American Goldfinch, Savannah Sparrows, and a flock of about 20 young Brown-headed Cowbirds, the fruition of a lot of effort on some other species' parts!

Good birding,
Evan Houston
Seattle, WA