[Tweeters] Ridgefield NWR - cloudy & quiet - but pleasant

Will Clemons willclemons at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 15 20:23:50 PDT 2009

Saturday, my mother (Olive) and I birded Ridgefield NWR (~4mi W of I-5 at Exit 14 in SW Washington; http://www.fws.gov/ridgefieldrefuges/ ). We birded the River "S" Unit from 8:45AM until about 3:15PM. Before that, I birded the entrance canyon and R/R area from 7:15AM.

It was a very quiet morning and a fairly quiet day in total. Weather was cool with a full cloud cover.

Nothing real unusual was seen, but it was a very pleasant day to be outside, especially considering the heat that is coming midweek.

Will Clemons
SW of Portland
willclemons AT Yahoo dot com

Birding:
The best excuse for getting outdoors
And avoiding chores

Complete list of 55 species seen / heard:

American Bittern (Horse Lake, and South Big Lake)
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Green Heron (very active juvenile on Long Lake)
Turkey Vulture
Wood Duck (4 seen at Kiwa entrance canal)
Gadwall
Mallard
Cinnamon Teal
Northern Pintail
Green-winged Teal
Osprey
Bald Eagle
Northern Harrier
Cooper's Hawk (juvenile seen from Kiwa parking area)
Red-tailed Hawk
American Kestrel
American Coot
Killdeer
Western Sandpiper (seen on Rest Lake)
Least Sandpiper (seen on Rest Lake)
Long-billed Dowitcher (seen on Rest Lake)
Wilson's Snipe
Bonaparte's Gull (seen on Rest Lake)
Mourning Dove
Vaux's Swift
Belted Kingfisher (Long Lake and Kiwa Trail)
Northern Flicker
Pileated Woodpecker (entrance canyon)
Western Wood-Pewee
Steller's Jay