[Tweeters] Re: Migration versus post-breeding dispersal

Dennis Paulson dennispaulson at comcast.net
Tue Aug 25 10:52:36 PDT 2009

Hello, Wayne.

Thanks for your comments, and I agree that it would be easy to
confuse migration with postbreeding dispersal. As you yourself wrote,
the two processes can be difficult to distinguish, and there is
probably no sharp line between them.

Nevertheless . . . .

If I had been writing about Black-capped Chickadees or Downy
Woodpeckers, largely resident species, I would have used the term
"postbreeding dispersal" and felt that it covered the ground. But as
Black-headed Grosbeaks are migratory, as they are surely on their way
to their wintering grounds in Mexico when appearing in my yard in
late August, and as I have no idea where they came from (they do
breed well to the north in British Columbia, by the way), I do
believe that "migration" is an appropriate term.

Dennis

-----
Dennis Paulson
1724 NE 98 St.