[Tweeters] dispersal

Steven Mlodinow sgmlod at aol.com
Wed Aug 26 13:58:07 PDT 2009

Hello Michael (and others)

A BH Grosbeak that has started its southbound migration to wherever and has made its first 60 mile jump (or 100, etc) would be a migrant. A WC Sparrow that has just shifted a couple miles from where it was raised would not really be considered a migrant. I am not sure where a real ornithologist would draw the line. Now, your WC Sparrows could in theory be from?100 miles away, as pugetensis is migratory, and I guess that would be a migrant. So, local movement vs long distance. Directional, vs nearest decent habitat. I guess those would be part of the distinguishing features.

Best Wishes

Steve Mlodinow

Everett WA