[Tweeters] Ice on Green Lake

Nathaniel Peters ncpeters at u.washington.edu
Mon Dec 14 10:25:48 PST 2009

Hi Tweeters,

I thought I would just share a rather odd experience I had yesterday
while on my run around Green Lake. With the recent cold weather a lot
of ice had accumulated on the lake, sometimes out as far as 150-200
feet or so from shore. As I made my way around the lake, I noticed a
number of Mallards waddling around awkwardly and occasionally falling
over on the ice. Hooded Mergansers were out in force as well, though
they stuck to the areas of unfrozen water. At one point I scared up
some Coots which attempted to run across the ice while flapping their
wings, and one of them was trying so hard that he/she fell forward and
proceeded to skid across the ice for about 15 feet....quite amusing!

The really surprising thing I noticed was as I was rounding the south
end of the lake where I noticed large numbers of crows flying
overhead. As I rounded the bend I noticed easily 150+ crows that were
all hopping/poking around out on the ice, about 100 feet out! They
were pecking at bits and pieces of material frozen in the ice and each
had a beautiful mirror reflection underneath it on the ice. I've seen
birds out on ice before, but not crows and not in that number!

Happy birding everyone!

-Nathaniel Peters
Seattle, WA
--