[Tweeters] NIsqually NWR 2/7/09

Scrubjay323 at aol.com Scrubjay323 at aol.com
Sun Feb 8 05:49:00 PST 2009

Tweets,

Yesterday I lead a Black Hills Audubon field trip at Nisqually. Nine of us
walked the outer dike under damp, cool conditions with a layer of fog hanging
overhead the whole day.

The highlight of the trip was finding the 2 PINE GROSBEAKS along the
McAllister Creek side of the of the refuge about 200 yards short of the boardwalk
to the photo blind. We also saw plenty of raptors and waterfowl.

Once a gain BALD EAGLES were everywhere, and where there were no EAGLES
there were NORTHERN HARRIERS or RED-TAILED HAWKS. We also saw a PEREGRINE FALCON
sitting on a stump out on the flats. No wonder the DUNLIN were mostly along
McAllister Creek.

We managed to see 2 PILIATED WOODPECKERS. one out past the ring dike area
and the other closer to the Nisqually overlook. Both were busy chopping holes
into trees and pretty well ignored us as we watched them.

The PINE GROSBEAKS also let us get pretty close as they plucked berries of
the low trees that line the trail there.

Mammal highlights included 2 sightings of RIVER OTTER. A single OTTER was
seen in the slough along McAllister Creek and a group of three were seen in
the slough along the Nisqually River side of the refuge.

All told we saw 53 species of birds and 4 mammals. The other mammals seen
were EASTERN GRAY SQUIRREL, HARBOR SEAL, and CALIFORNIA SEA LION at the
Nisqually overlook.

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 @aol.com
Lacey, WA