[Tweeters] Mourning Dove

Douglas Canning dcanning at zhonka.net
Thu Feb 12 11:52:25 PST 2009

This morning I had the good fortune to see an outburst of bird activity
at my place that lasted about an hour. The snow coverage here is
reduced to 50%, and less than an inch where still present, from a
maximum of 3" on the 10th.

What was remarkable was the flock of up to 10 Mourning Dove foraging on
my alleged lawns, and perching in the alders in my swamp. I've never
before seen a flock this large this far north in Thurston County, and
never before any at my place near Black Lake in the 17 years I've lived
here.

Also interesting was a robin with the breast-belly color pattern of a
Rufous-backed Robin, a Mexican species (illustration in National
Geographic field guide), but otherwise having all the characteristics
of an American Robin.

This report was mailed for Doug Canning by http://birdnotes.net