[Tweeters] American Kestrel and McLane Creek, Olympia

TedR coffeemonkey101 at comcast.net
Mon Feb 16 21:29:56 PST 2009

The family and I headed down to Olympia today to see if we could spot the American Kestrel that Robin in Olympia reported off of Delphi road. Sure enough it was there and we found it easily, perched on the power line amongst the series of lines that crosses the road. It flew away before I got a shot of it and landed some distance away, close enough to still make out with binoculars. What a neat bird. Thanks Robin!

We also stopped in to the park at McLane Creek and had a wonderful late afternoon there. We saw all of the following (in just an hour or so):

Hooded Merganser (2)
Scaup (Lesser or Greater I am not sure, this one still stumps me)
Mallard (3 male and female pairs)
Gadwall (male and female pair)
Canada Goose (2)
Bufflehead (4)
Red-winged Blackbird (multiple)
Downy Woodpecker (one)
Song Sparrow (4)
Winter Wren (4)

We heard, but did not see the following:

American Robin (multiple)
Black-capped Chickadee (multiple)

The Passerines were all singing like it was March or April, what is up with that? Even this morning I woke up to a single Song Sparrow singing his spring song and it isn't the first time I've heard it. I heard a Song Sparrow in our neighborhood singing like that weeks ago.

The forests in this park strike me as really good habitat for some owls and I think I'll do some owling there too.

Cool but beautiful day, good birding!

Fredrickson, WA
mailto:coffeemonkey101 ATcomcast DOT net