[Tweeters] mystery birds and BRITE (links)

Devorah Bennu birdologist at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 24 09:39:27 PST 2009

hello tweeties,

the most recently demystified mystery bird, courtesy of Joseph Kennedy, was a juvenile Yellow-crowned night-heron, Nycticorax violaceus. Offhand, I can't think of any field guides that include a picture a juvenile of this species, so you might find this image to be interesting;

here's today's mystery bird for you to identify, thanks to photographer, John del Rio. This image was taken from an angle that might be quite familiar to you;

Incidentally, this is off-topic, but I thought you might be interested to read about BRITE, a pharmaceutical and drug discovery research institute located in North Carolina's famous Research Triangle. I visited in late January when I was speaking at ScienceOnline09 and wrote this photoessay about the facility;

Roosting high up a tree somewhere in Central Park, NYC