[Tweeters] Birds in the News, mystery birds and more (links)

Devorah Bennu birdologist at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 6 17:28:30 PST 2009

hello tweeties,

yesterday, i forgot to mention that Birds in the News is available for your reading pleasure. As an added bonus, one of my commenters is the "main star" of one of the news stories that was included. This issue of BITN includes a stunning image of a Rainbow Lory, Trichoglossus haematodus moluccanus;

the most recently demystified mystery birds was a Turkey Vulture, Cathartes aura, as everyone correctly identified. To read Rick Wright's interesting essay for distinguishing this species from the Black VUlture, be sure to read the analysis that accompanies that image;

thanks to photographer, Marv Breece, here's today's mystery bird for you to identify;

you might also enjoy seeing this interesting image of burrowing owls, courtesy of my friends at National Geographic;

Roosting high up a tree somewhere in Central Park, NYC