[Tweeters] Barrovianus Glaucous vs. Iceland?

Eugene and Nancy Hunn enhunn323 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 8 10:46:27 PST 2009

Doug et al.,

Good suggestion. One should also consult the two most recent highly detailed
treatises on gull, Olsen and Larsson _Gulls of North America, Europe, and
Asia_ and Howell and Dunn _Gulls of the Americas_.

With respect to barrovianus Glaucous Gulls, most if not all Washington
Glaucous Gulls are presumeably barrovianus based on breeding and known
wintering ranges, thus the comparison is between Bob and his incarnations
and our local sample of Glaucous Gulls, the great majority of which are 1st
or 2nd cycle birds that pose few problems.

There are also a number of British Columbia records of what they refer to as
"Greenland Iceland Gulls" which suggest to me that small numbers of nominate
Iceland Gulls do reach our region in winter. There's a 3rd cycle bird at the
moment shown on the Fraser Valley rare birds web site at
http://www.bcbirding.proboards3.com.

Gene Hunn
18476 47th Pl NE
Lake Forest Park, WA