[Tweeters] RE: Can it be Spring?

Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at verizon.net
Thu Jan 8 20:27:35 PST 2009

In Washington State, I have noted the following species sing in the first 2 weeks of January:

Black-capped Chickadee
Brown Creeper
Bewick's Wren (including today)
Marsh Wren
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Song Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
Red-winged Blackbird

Several other species have been noted singing later in the month, and I've noted pretty much all of the same species singing in December (including before the solstice)

In fact, I've noted Bewick's Wrens singing at all seasons EXCEPT October thru mid-November. Song Sparrows seem to take a break only during the month of August. American Robins, in contrast, don't seem to sing between early-July and mid-December.

I've been keeping notes on songs for about the last 4 years (and this is the first chance I've had to actually query the data :)

== Michael Hobbs
== Kirkland, WA
== http://www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== http://www.marymoor.org/BirdBlog.htm