[Tweeters] Tucson Birding in March 16-22

Gary Smith g_smith1 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 8 22:14:24 PST 2009

Caryn,

You should have very good birding. While many of the breeders arrive later
in spring and some of the other specialties occur there in the rainy season
(July-August, oddly enough) I've birded in Southern Arizona several times in
March, in conditions from snow to blazing heat, and always found it fun and
rewarding.

Try to get a copy of Finding Birds in Southeast Arizona published by the
Tucson Audubon Society. Very user-friendly, very good info.

I like the Patagonia-Sonoita Creek Preserve, operated by the Nature
Conservancy and Tucson Audubon, about 90 minutes south of Tucson. Nearer to
Tucson, Sabino Canyon and Catalina State Park are definitely worth birding.

Good birding.

--g

Gary T. Smith

Alki Point, Seattle