[Tweeters] Re: ODD looking REDPOLL from recent photos from Okanogan trip

Khanh Tran fsprucegrouse at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 15 12:59:46 PST 2009

Hi Evan, John, Marv and Mason,

Thanks for sharing the wonderful report and photos! Sounds like you had a great time!

I must say, the redpoll on the upper top center looks odd. Don't know if the digiscoping and lighting had an effect on it. Very faint streaks, and unstreaked undertail coverts, frosty appearance.

Can't tell from the photo for the stubby beak or clear upper tail coverts indicative for HOARY REDPOLL.

Sometimes, it is tough to focus on one bird when there is a large jittery flock. The beauty of taking photos you get multiple chances to study a bird and sometimes catching something you miss later while watching that subject in the field.

Just a thought... I am sure with all those SHARP eyes and ears from the group, you were ON it!

Makes you reconsider about deleting those undesirable, grainy photos:)

Good birding,

Khanh Tran (Portland, Oregon)