[Tweeters] Warblers at hummingbird feeders

Cynthia Boyce Cynthia.Boyce at Seattle.Gov
Thu Jan 15 14:06:25 PST 2009

I have an Aspects Ultra Hummingbird feeder which looks like a shallow dish with a red lid on top. It is almost flat and the feeding ports/tubes are pretty short. I have seen a chickadee feeding from it and a flicker trying it's darndest to feed from it but I don't know if it was successful.

Cynthia Boyce
Wallingford, Seattle
cynthia dot boyce at seattle dot gov

>>> <JPartlow at aol.com> 1/15/2009 1:31 PM >>>

Hello to all,

This morning a female Townsend's Warbler landed on top of our hummingbird feeder. This feeder (called Jewel Box) has narrow deep openings designed only for hummingbirds. After tromping around for a minute or so, the TOWA took off.
It wasn't a total shock to see her, as our neighbor across the street uses a feeding system that allows warbler bills to get into the nectar. My neighbor has a picture of her feeding at this system and says she has seen them there for the last 3 years. One type of similar feeder is called the Window Wonder - a window mounted tube; I went out and got one this morning, hoping the TOWA would come back.

It got me wondering about warblers at hummingbird feeders; a quick perusal of the internet showed these claims of warblers at hummingbird feeders:
Parula (Louisiana)
Hooded (Corona, Ca)
Lucy's (Oregon)
Black-throated Blue
Orange-crowned (Lousiana)
Tennessee (New Brunswick)
Cape May (several sightings).

Downy, Gila and Acorn woodpeckers use them, too.

So out in tweeters land, what warblers and other odd birds have been seen at hummingbird feeders?

Janet Partlow
Olympia, WA

A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy steps! (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1215855013x1201028747/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072%26hmpgID=62%26bcd=DecemailfooterNO62)