[Tweeters] Lack of Finches

Cynthia Boyce Cynthia.Boyce at Seattle.Gov
Thu Jan 15 14:15:51 PST 2009

I live in Wallingford and have seen very few finches in the past year. I have seen 4 or 5 house finches at time occasionally throughout the year and I saw a single goldfinch on two occasions. I have never seen a pine sisken. The only thing that visits my niger feeder is a squirrel who ate a hole through it. I have, however had a lot of house sparrows, up to 25 at a time, at my feeder almost daily.

Cynthia Boyce
Wallingford, Seattle
cynthia dot boyce at seattle dot gov

>>> John Foster <jsflao at yahoo.com> 1/14/2009 1:44 PM >>>

Re: [Tweeters] Lack of Finches,

I too am in Mapleleaf (top of the hill with a sward of 60' - 80' tall conifers in the back), and I've seen mostly house finch in the 6 years I've had feeders up. I have gone through a handful of bags of niger thistle (that I keep frozen till it goes into the thistle feeder) in my years here.

I DO see plenty of house finches eating sunflower seeds (with shell). However, I may get about one Goldfinch per year that parks on the thistle feeder but doesn't return the next day. I've never had a flock of goldfinches. One year (was it 2003?) I had a couple of red crossbill! (maybe they liked those big trees).

I have seen reduced house sparrows this year - I had attributed it to stopping use of de-shelled sunflower seeds in favor of whole sunflower seeds that the house finch really like. Apparently something besides my choice for seed is going on.

John

When in this world the headlines read
Of those whose hearts are filled with greed
Who rob and steal from those in need
To right this wrong with blinding speed
Comes Underdog!! ...