[Tweeters] kent long-eared owl, cle elum, ellensburg

wheelermombi at comcast.net wheelermombi at comcast.net
Sun Jan 18 18:07:13 PST 2009

Hola Tweeters,

I birded today with Dave and Sherry Hayden.  We started off in Kent, where we were successful in seeing the LONG-EARED OWL.  This was a lifer for both myself and Sherry, and the best look that Dave has had of this species.  We arrived just after daylight, and the area was shrouded in fog and the roads were very icy in spots; we passed a couple of nasty accidents in the region.

Next, we headed up to Cle Elum.  The trees and ground were cloaked in frost at the pass, and even more so around Elk Heights; very beautiful.  We saw a lot of BALD EAGLES along the way; I have seen in excess of 100 so far this year; they seem to be everywhere.  We missed our target species, Bohemian Waxwings, but found a flock of 12 PINE GROSBEAKS in the northern portion of town, just north of 1st St.  We also spotted 3 EVENING GROSBEAKS, 1CASSIN'S FINCH, a large number of HOUSE FINCHES AND A. GOLDFINCHES, and a MERLIN.

In the vicinity of Ellensburg, we saw several swans (couldn't ID species at 70 MPH), NORTHERN SHRIKE, ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK, 2 distant, probable MERLINS, and CALIFORNIA QUAIL.  We dipped on the waxwings again.  While birding near the airport, we noticed that a lot of new developments had been put in, really altering the habitat in that vicinity.  HOUSE  FINCHES and A. GOLDFINCHES abounded here as well.

Good birding,

Lonnie Somer

Wheelermombi at comcast.net

Olympia, WA