[Tweeters] Request for information about birding in Central and South America

Richard Carlson rccarl at pacbell.net
Wed Jan 21 15:04:58 PST 2009

You will get many opinions on this. I've birded in Mexico(15 times), Belize, Costa Rica, Panama(2), Venezuela, Ecuador (2), Peru, El Salvador, Guatemala and Brazil. Of all these I recommend Panama as a first place for real Neotropical birding. It's smaller and much easier to travel ($ is the currency and English widely spoken) than Costa Rica with more birds representing all the Neotropic families . Guido Berguido at atvantagepanama.com is great. Canopy Towers & Lodge are lovely with fabulous guides but $$$$. David Trently at avianpursuits.com organizes very cost effective tours in Panama.

Ecuador might give you more birds per day, but the economic situation has gone crazy which may affect travel. Tropical Birding runs great tours in Ecuador. Roberto Cedeno at info at ecosportadventure.com is a very cost effective alternative in Ecuador.

Peru is fabulous but much further with more exotic but generally harder to find birds.

Richard Carlson
Full-time Birder, Biker and Rotarian
Part-time Economist
Tucson, AZ, Lake Tahoe, CA, & Kirkland, WA
rccarl at pacbell.net
Tucson 520-760-4935
Tahoe 530-581-0624
Kirkland 425-828-3819