[Tweeters] Point Wilson and more

Bob Whitney rlw at cablespeed.com
Sat Jan 24 09:57:26 PST 2009

1-23-09, 1200~1400, High tide outgoing, seas light chop, wind calm, clear
skies, temp. 45 degrees.

Pacific Loon 14

Common Loon 1

Yellow-billed Loon 1

When I see this bird most of the time it is from 100~ 300 meters away from
the most northerly point from the lighthouse (the lighthouse is to my back).
The tide in most cases is outgoing. The loon will be drifting with the
current moving from the southeast to the northwest feeding or grooming. This
is the same bird I have seen all winter first sighted on 10-28-08. Most
likely it is off Point Wilson everyday but I don't see it every time I am
out. Some times things just get by unseen. I have timed this bird when it
dives and it will stay underwater for over two minutes and move as far as
100 meters from where it dove under water.

Red-throated Loon 3

Pelagic cormorant 8

Brandt's Cormorant 3

Double-crested Cormorant 8

Common Murre 37

Marbled Murrelet 24

Ancient Muttelet 18

Pigeon Guillemot 12

Glaucous-winged Gull Hybrid 6

Mew gull 2

Surf Scoter 6

White-winged Scoter 5

Long-tailed Duck 1

Harlequin Duck 4

Bufflehead 12

Common Goldeneye 1

Red-breasted Merganser 9

Song Sparrow 2

Common Raven 1

There has been one and one half days the past five days that the sun has
shown. It's the most fog I have seen in six years here. During the day you
could only see about 80 meters.

Well this was one of the sunny days 1-21, so I did an inexpensive birding
trip which consisted of riding the walk on ferry Mystic Seas from Port
Townsend to Whidbey Island for two round trips cost $10. All the same birds
I see at Point Wilson but the alcids are much closer viewed when you are on
the water.

Bob Whitney

Port Townsend, WA

mailto:rlw at cablespeed.com