[Tweeters] Marymoor Park Report (Redmond, King Co., WA) 2009-01-29

Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at verizon.net
Thu Jan 29 15:02:00 PST 2009

Tweets - lots of excitement in the last 24 hours.

Last night I had a NORTHERN SAW-WHET OWL from the East Lake Sammamish Trail
within Marymoor Park. This is a new bird for the park list!

Also, the AMERICAN TREE SPARROW was again seen at the Compost Piles.

And at the Rowing Club, we had a hybrid RED-BREASTED x RED-NAPED SAPSUCKER.
Ryan Merrill got photos, which should be on my blog later today.

At 8:00, about a dozen of us met for our weekly walk under cloudy skies.
There was a hint of mist, but really no real precipitation, and the winds
were minimal. Not too cold either.

This morning, Matt had BARN OWL near the mansion nest box, and there was a
new branch visible within the box. Ryan Merrill had a SHORT-EARED OWL over
the East Meadow early this morning.

It was a good day for ducks and geese - CANADA and CACKLING GEESE flew
overhead at about 8:15, with a few landing. For ducks, we had GADWALL.
AMERICAN WIGEON, MALLARD, NORTHERN PINTAIL, GREEN-WINGED TEAL, RING-NECKED
DUCK, BUFFLEHEAD, COMMON GOLDENEYE, HOODED MERGANSER, and COMMON MERGANSER.
Any day we have 10 or more species of duck at Marymoor is a good duck day.

Other highlights:

California Quail Heard and glimpsed SW of the mansion
Green Heron Again on the beaver lodge at the Rowing Club
Peregrine Falcon ? Large falcon made a swipe at some starlings
Northern Shrike Again, in the Dog Meadow
Brown Creeper One singing near the mansion
Varied Thrush Female at Rowing Club, one heard at Mansion
Purple Finch Some excellent looks

For the day (plus last night), 60 species. For the year, we're up to 79
species.

== Michael Hobbs
== Kirkland, WA
== http://www.marymoor.org/birding.htm