[Tweeters] Ridgefield NWR Saturday

Will Clemons willclemons at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 25 22:39:04 PDT 2009

I birded the River "S" Unit at Ridgefield NWR Saturday from 6:30 Am until 2:45PM. Carol Ledford joined me at 9AM, and we birded together for the balance of the day. I also birded with Al Larrabee from about 8-9AM and again when Carol, Al and I walked the Kiwa Trail together. There are still very few duck species there, and what else we found we had to look hard for, or rely on luck.

Ridgefield NWR: (~4mi W of I-5 at Exit 14 in SW Washington; http://www.fws.gov/ridgefieldrefuges/ ).

Mosquitoes were not too bad Saturday.

A lot more of the grasses have been mowed (lots yet to mow) so Kestrels and other raptors, can more easily find rodents.

Will Clemons
SW of Portland
willclemons AT Yahoo dot com

Birding:
The best excuse for getting outdoors
And avoiding chores

Complete list of 59 species seen / heard:

Pied-billed Grebe (seen w/babies on Bull Lake)
American Bittern (3 seen )
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret (3 seen on Rest Lake)
Turkey Vulture (3 on ground E of Rest Lake)
Canada Goose (~34 seen on Rest Lake)
Wood Duck
Gadwall
Mallard
Cinnamon Teal
Osprey (3 seen)
Bald Eagle (juvenile on snag at Long Lake)
Northern Harrier (2 juveniles)
Cooper's Hawk (large female seen on Kiwa Trail)
Red-tailed Hawk
American Kestrel (3 seen)
Virginia Rail (1 seen on Horse Lake)
Sora (adult and juvenile seen on Horse Lake)
American Coot (adults, juveniles and babies)
Killdeer (several spots + one flock of 31)
Greater Yellowlegs (maybe 10 on Rest Lake)
Western Sandpiper (seen on Rest Lake)
Least Sandpiper (seen on Rest Lake)
Long-billed Dowitcher (at least 100 on Rest Lake)
Vaux's Swift
Red-breasted Sapsucker (in entrance canyon)
Downy Woodpecker (on Kiwa Trail)
Northern Flicker
Western Wood-Pewee
Pacific-slope Flycatcher (in entrance canyon)
Steller's Jay (in entrance canyon)
Western Scrub-Jay
American Crow
Tree Swallow
Barn Swallow
Black-capped Chickadee
Bushtit (~20 in entrance canyon)
Red-breasted Nuthatch (in entrance canyon)
White-breasted Nuthatch
Brown Creeper (entrance canyon and Kiwa Trail)
Bewick's Wren
House Wren
Marsh Wren
Swainson's Thrush
American Robin
European Starling
Cedar Waxwing
YELLOW WARBLER (near entrance of Kiwa Trail)
Common Yellowthroat
WESTERN TANAGER (near R/R tracks)
Spotted Towhee (in entrance canyon)
Savannah Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Black-headed Grosbeak (near R/R tracks)
Red-winged Blackbird
YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRD (saw a few on S Quigley Lake - no males)
Bullock's Oriole (near entrance of Kiwa Trail)
House Finch
American Goldfinch

Seen/heard by others, but not but me:

Lesser Yellowlegs (seen by Al Larrabee - Rest Lake)