[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR / 07/29/09

hannaslagle at comcast.net hannaslagle at comcast.net
Wed Jul 29 11:42:36 PDT 2009

Tweeters:

Eight of us had a short morning of birding.  The shady areas of the boardwalk were relatively cool, but the exposed areas were already hot.  The bird activity was down quite a bit.

We started off in the parking lot with two RAVENS and AMERICAN BITTERN flying by.  We later got  great views of a BITTERN walking the shoreline.  SWALLOWS for the day:  BARN, CLIFF and TREE.

FLYCATCHERS: WILLOW, PACIFIC-SLOPE and WESTERN WOOD-PEWEE.

We saw several BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAKS, including juveniles.   The only WARBLERS were YELLOW and COMMON YELLOW THROAT.  Ducks were scarce but we did see MALLARDS and WOOD DUCKS.  We also saw a RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD near the twin barns.

A highlight of the day was sighting a GREAT HORNED OWL flying through the woods.

Total species:  32

Mammals:  deer, squirrel and coyote

Eric Slagle, Olympia

hannaslagle at comcast.net