[Tweeters] Capitol Lake/Forest Report

Isacoff, Jonathan isacoff at gonzaga.edu
Tue Jun 2 19:15:06 PDT 2009

Had a chance to bird Capitol Lake and Capitol Forest for a half day for the first time. I didn't know what to expect and was mostly going by the ABA book but there were what seemed to be some good birds about. Below are the species observed in about 6 hours of birding. I got solid visuals on 5 of the HERMIT WARBLERS, which were all sining. Others responded to an ipod playback. I believe I heard at least 5 or 6 more, but as it is a new species to me, I only counted the ones that were 100%. I also had what I would 99% say was a Western Bluebird in the glass with excellent light and just at the moment of 100% ID confirmation it was flushed by some Mountain Bikers, so I didn't count it.

I was surprised at the abudance of WILLOW FLYCATCHERS, which reliably were listed at 12 but probably were more like 20, almost all singing and/or flycatching in clear-cuts relatively away from water. In the Spokane Area, they are almost always in Riparian areas within 200-300 meters of water. Anyone have an opinion about that?

Also of note, there was a conspicuous HARBOR SEAL swimming just off the bridge at the South end of Capitol Lake. Does anyone have a sense of whether this is unusual?

Good birding, Jon Isacoff

Capitol Lake

20 Mallard

30 Double-crested Cormorant