[Tweeters] Hummingbirds in yard

Joseph V Higbee jvhigbee at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 13 10:32:46 PDT 2009

I noticed in some recent posts that hummingbirds had deserted some yards.

Around the same time, about two weeks ago, the adult Rufous hummers were not to be seen in my yard but I had two very active juveniles flitting about the plants but never coming to the feeders.

Now the adults have reappeared but only seldom does any of them, adult or juvie, come to the feeder but are quite active otherwise. The juvie's are seen much more than the adults. Maybe after the juvie's were out of the nest the adults took a little trip and are now enjoying their leisure?

Yesterday the juvie's were having fun in the sprinkler as children will, and I snapped a series of pictures: http://www.pbase.com/jvhigbee/aruhu_ju

I'm still posting pictures from Montana. There were so many I have been doing two or three a day. Will probably finish this coming week. Some disappointments like the Piping Plover which didn't turn out as good as I had hoped, but mostly pleased with what I got. http://www.pbase.com/jvhigbee/montana09

Joseph Higbee
Spanaway, WA
Mailto: jvhigbee at hotmail.com