[Tweeters] Birding on Mt. Townsend, Jefferson/Clallam Counties

Gary Wiles wilesharkey at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 14 14:14:08 PDT 2009

Tweeters,

Yesterday, we led a Black Hills Audubon Society field trip that combined birding with a hike up Forest Service trail 839 to the top of Mt. Townsend in the eastern Olympic Mtns. The birding was relatively slow, with only 22 species recorded. But we did have several nice highlights, including seeing both Horned Larks and American Pipits at the top of the mountain. Close watching of the larks revealed one nest with several small downy chicks on the Clallam County side of the peak and a very probable nest (based on a bird carrying insects to a depression in the ground cover) on the Jefferson County side. We also had singing Townsend’s Solitaires, including a pair, at two locations near the top and several Olive-sided Flycatchers. The Hermit Thrushes that I've enjoyed on previous hikes seemed relatively quiet all day long. The rhododendrons were at their peak of flowering.

Gary Wiles and Jan Sharkey
Olympia, WA
wilesharkey at yahoo.com