[Tweeters] Everett Shorebirds

jeff gibson gibsondesign at msn.com
Fri Jun 26 09:27:51 PDT 2009

I keep checking the seasonal ponds on Smith Island (off 12th st NE north of the sewage ponds) since I only live ten minutes away, and it continues to be a real shorebird magnet. Earlier in the year this gravel road is lined with seasonal ponds, now the only remaining water is on the east end of the road.

This morning saw 3 or 4 Greater Yellowlegs, a similar number of Lesser Yellowlegs, and dozens of Killdeers. Saw what may have been a male Wilsons Phalarope - it was a bit beyond my binocular range- the last one I saw here was a pair on 6/19, but maybe still around. Spotted Sandpipers often here also.

While scanning the shoreline I spotted a fellow birdwatcher - a young Coyote who was very interested in the Yellowlegs. After watching them a while he/or she trotted off along the pond and into the tall grass.

Jeff Gibson, Everett Wa