[Tweeters] Yellow-billed loon, YELO

Virginia R, Gumm ggloon at msn.com
Tue Mar 3 10:18:02 PST 2009

Hi Mike and Tweeters,

The Yellow-billed loon, YELO, on Lake Chelan/Chief Joseph Dam is a first-year juvenile and will not molt its flight feathers until later, about May. That is one reason why it flew from Lake Chelan to the Chief Joseph Dam recently. Not much is known about the YELO molt-progression plumage, but they seem to be on a similar schedule of the molt cycle of the common loon.

We are hoping to determine when the YELO juvenile begins to molt its flight feathers and with "Tweeters" messages and information, we may be able to determine when this happens. Wing flaps are an excellent way to see this, as Mike mentioned.

Thanks so much for your listing and observations and a "special thank-you" to Bob Whitney for his images and dedication to following the Point Wilson YELO with excellent photography and data.

Ginger Gumm and Daniel Poleschook, Jr.
LLLA and BRI
ggloon at msn.com<mailto:ggloon at msn.com>