[Tweeters] Benefits of serviceberry to wildlife

Denny Granstrand dgranstrand at charter.net
Tue Mar 3 17:11:31 PST 2009

Hi Jeff (and Tweeters),

I was happy to read your assessment of
serviceberry as a good tree for wildlife. I did
an on-line search and found this:

"Most Amelanchier species have showy but
short-lived flowers. The flowers only last for
about a week, or less if it is warm or windy. The
flowers are followed by ¼ to ½-inch purple fruits
with a waxy bloom that taste somewhat like
blueberries when ripe. The fruits are ready for
harvest 2 to 3 months after bloom. The tiny
edible fruit are popular with birds, including
American goldfinch, tufted titmice, brown
thrashers, blue jays, Carolina chickadees,
northern cardinals and American robins."

I am going to plant several this spring. I was
really impressed by the list of birds they will
attract to my yard. At least three of them have never been seen in Washington!

Denny Granstrand