[Tweeters] A Twitch in Time

Joseph V Higbee jvhigbee at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 3 13:26:48 PST 2009

Most often I wait too long and miss the birds I chase. Yesterday was different. Even though I had been unable to chase the birds hanging out in eastern Washington sooner, they all waited for me to get there. I was able to see all four target birds and finally get good photos of the Northern Hawk owl that has eluded me for so long. The other birds were the Long-tailed Ducks and the Yellow-billed Loon, both lifers, and a shortened viewing of the White-winged Crossbills due in part to a Merlin visit. A great big thanks to the tweeters who posted updates and made this possible. A little more detail is here: http://www.pbase.com/jvhigbee/b_pblog

Some distant looks at the ducks and loon as well as several close looks at the owl are here: http://www.pbase.com/jvhigbee/c_current

I also should mention that had I given my cell phone number to another birder I met at the loon location I would possibly have seen a dark phase Gyrfalcon that was seen by him at 14th and H on the plateau. That would have been another lifer but, oh well, I'll cry later.

Joseph V Higbee
Spanaway, WA
Mailto: jvhigbee at hotmail.com