[Tweeters] more on serviceberry

Bob Sundstrom ixoreus at scattercreek.com
Wed Mar 4 10:29:35 PST 2009

Tweeters,

Native serviceberry is a wonderful source of food and shelter for native birds, as several people have made clear. It does have a peak season of berry production in June to early July at lower elevations, so in planning your plantings for birds you might want to include earlier and, especially, later small fruit sources. Where we live along Scatter Creek, our front yard has a perimeter of mature native serviceberry and black hawthorn, now 10 to 15' high, and is amazingly popular with birds spring through early fall. The hawthorn berries peak after the serviceberries, in late summer, keeping the food supply plentiful. We also have some bird-planted native blue elderberries (now 10-20' high) that add food in September. We've used our yard last summer to teach a couple of gardening-for-wildlife sessions last summer, and may do it again this year. Still, whatever you plant, a year round source of water for birds ranks just as high.

Bob Sundstrom
[Lead Writer, BirdNote, etc.]
Tenino, Washington
ixoreus at scattercreek.com