[Tweeters] Anna's vocalization or wing noise? - no - it is the tail

Stewart Wechsler ecostewart at quidnunc.net
Thu Mar 5 12:37:00 PST 2009

Ed, All,

I too was puzzled the first time I heard this. I have heard that the "chirp" produced at the bottom of the display flight of the male Anna's Hummingbird was produced my the tail, but I wanted confirmation. I found this website with an audio clip to click on of the "chirp" and confirmation that it is indeed made by the tail:

http://berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2008/01/30_hummingbird.shtml

Since learning the sound, I find 10 times the Anna's Hummingbirds I had before.

-Stewart

Stewart Wechsler
-Ecological Consultant - Nature Guide
Naturalist - Botanist
West Seattle
206 932-7225
ecostewart at quidnunc.net
-Advice on the most site-appropriate native plants to maximize the site's potential for native biodiversity
-Educational programs, nature walks, and field trips for schools, public and private groups
-Botanical Surveys