[Tweeters] Marymoor Park Report (Redmond, King Co., WA) 2009-03-05

Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at verizon.net
Thu Mar 5 13:43:50 PST 2009

Cinco de Marcho was a real stinko, as far as weather goes. Heavy rains from
5:30 a.m. until about 8:00, followed by about an hour and a half of
clearing, followed by hard rain and then extremely wet SNOW. Uggh. I
thought this was supposed to be spring? Anyway, with the heavy early
morning rain, Matt, Brian, and Scott arrived at our starting place well
soaked. Amazingly, the rain didn't deter the birders- there were 16 of us
today. I almost dread what a nice day in May will bring...

The birds were somewhat cooperative, though, despite a lack of spring
goodies. Maybe this was our last good winter birding day or something.

Highlights:

Trumpeter Swan Two flew over the East Meadow
Mallard Maybe an all-time high count at about 100
Barn Owl Same roost spot as prev. weeks - hard to see
Great Horned Owl Matt & Scott had one near the mansion early
Northern Shrike One well east of East Meadow
Lincoln's Sparrow FINALLY - one at Compost Piles

A pretty good day for non-bird animals as well, though many of these were
only seen by one or a few people:

Pacific Treefrog Heard
Raccoon Sharon had one on east side of the slough
Long-tailed Weasel Early sighting from Compost Piles
Muskrat One in slough near RC dock
Eastern Cottontail Compost Piles early

For the day, a rather surprising 54 species. For the year, I think we might
be up to 82 or 83, but I'll have to total things up later.

== Michael Hobbs
== Kirkland, WA
== http://www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== http://www.marymoor.org/BirdBlog.htm