[Tweeters] Save-Our Swifts

paulette.hunter at att.net paulette.hunter at att.net
Fri Mar 6 12:12:14 PST 2009

Here's an important thing you can do for the Monroe Swifts - call your legislators and ask them to "please support the capital budget request for the chimney retrofit at Frank Wagner Elementary."

Rep. Kirk Pearson of Monroe is our sponsor for this budget request, so if he is your legislator, tell him THANKS for sponsoring this bill!

For other legislators, simply ask them to support it too.

It is a small amount by state budget standards, and does not impact the operating budget (since it is capital monies).

See below for some further talking points.

thx - Marina Skumanich, Seattle Audubon

Action Alert - Save Our Swifts!

We need you to contact your legislators!
Audubon chapters and the Monroe School District are submitting a joint proposal to the Washington State legislature for funding to earthquake retrofit the Wagner Elementary School chimney. This retrofit project, about $100 thousand dollars, will ensure that the school children of Wagner Elementary are safe from a serious earthquake risk while also protecting the major roosting site in WA for Vaux's Swifts.
Please call or write your state representatives and senators, and ask them to:
"Please support the Capital Budget Request to retrofit Wagner Elementary's Chimney"
Talking points:
With this funding, we can fix this critical problem and ensure the school children at Frank Wagner Elementary are safe from a potentially serious earthquake risk
This project will provide job creation in a small community already hard-hit by the recession
The project will also serve to preserve a critical migratory roosting (resting) site for the amazing Vaux's swifts - up to 20,000 have been seen in aerial display while coming to roost in the chimney at night
Legislator contact information:
Find your representatives and get their contact info: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder
Call the toll-free Legislative Hotline: 800-562-6000
For more information: Susie Schaefer (PAS) at 425-771-8165 or Marina Skumanich (SAS) at 206-786-8846