[Tweeters] Mating Mallards

Guttman,Burton GuttmanB at evergreen.edu
Fri Mar 6 16:17:50 PST 2009

We have lots of wintering ducks on Long Lake here in Lacey, and we commonly see them copulating throughout the winter. It's my understanding that pair bonds are maintained largely through frequent copulation, and in fact I believe it was Dennis Paulson who pointed this out once on Tweeters. (I don't know if this is true for geese.) I know it's fun to think that in the spring a young duck's fancy turns to thoughts of love, but I think it's pretty much on their minds all the time. I don't want you all to think that I'm the kind of guy who gets his jollies by standing around watching ducks mate, but it gets to be pretty obvious when mating is accompanied by obvious behavior such as head pumping.

Burt Guttman
The Evergreen State College
Olympia, WA 98505 guttmanb at evergreen.edu <mailto:guttmanb at evergreen.edu>