[Tweeters] Lesser known birding locations in SW Florida

Bob Schmidt bobs at world-wide.com
Sat Mar 7 09:11:34 PST 2009

Ding Darling, Corkscrew, Shark Valley, Anhinga Trail, and Flamingo are all
beautiful, well-known, and popular wildlife destinations that I have
thoroughly enjoyed in the past. However, for those interested in some
lesser known wildlife watching locations in South Florida I believe there
are a number of exceptional birding and photography opportunities at minimal
or no cost. I had the experience of spending December and January in Naples
FL this winter. While I was mostly occupied with caring for my ailing
parents, I did part-day (mostly morning) trips to the locations below and
found unique species with minimal human crowds:

Big Cypress Bend Boardwalk
Janes Scenic Drive
Everglades Loop Road
Big Cypress Oasis Visitor Center
(http://www.nps.gov/bicy/planyourvisit/visitorcenters.htm) (OK a little
crowded but close alligators and free)
Tigertail Beach County Park

In addition I had an outstanding day birding Stormwater Treatment Area 5
(http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200990304074) with
Vincent Lucas, Alan Murray, Margaret England, and the Hendry-Glades Audubon
Society. STA-5 has extraordinary numbers and diversity of birds but many
are distant so it helps to have a scope. I had another big day with Vincent
Lucas, Alan Murray, and the Collier County Audubon Society birding in mostly
obscure locations around Immokalee and remote Collier County. I would
hardily recommend guiding by Vincent Lucas <vplucas AT COMCAST.NET> as he
really knows where to find birds. Finally the Florida Birds listserv
(http://www.birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/FLAB.html#1235934618) has lots of
information and also listed on March 1 is another impressive list from
Bob Schmidt
Bothell, WA
bobs at world-wide.com