[Tweeters] Portland Tufted Duck, Ridgefield Owls, and Woodland

wheelermombi at comcast.net wheelermombi at comcast.net
Sat Mar 7 19:50:08 PST 2009

HI Tweeters,

I went birding today with Dave Hayden in the Portland area as well as Ridgefield NWR and Dike Access Rd. in Woodland.  Here are some of the highlights.

Portland:  We initially went to Marine Dr. & 138th ST to look for the TUFTED DUCK.  We walked down the bike path scanning the numerous scaup rafts accompanied by ice cold rain.  Dave finally spotted the culprit near 148th ST in the middle of a fairly small raft.  His (the duck's) wet tuft was visible in profile, reminding me of a bald man with long hair on the back of his head.  It was a lifer for me.

Ridgefield NWR River S Unit:  In addition to the usual suspects, we spotted 2 GREAT HORNED OWLS & 1 BARN OWL.  The Barn Owl was the 5th owl species of the year for both of us.  We also saw 1 CINNAMON TEAL from the blind.  There were a couple of VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOWS mixed in with the feeding TREE SWALLOWS.

Dike Access Rd. and Woodland area:  This turned out to be an amazingly birdy area.  On our first stop at a pull-off between 2 large fields, there were raptors everywhere.  There were more than 20 N. HARRIERS with a similar number of RED-TAILED HAWKS.  In addition, we spotted BALD EAGLES & ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS.  the Rough-legged Hawks would displace the N. Harriers, the Red-tails would chase off the Rough-leggeds and Harriers, and the Bald Eagles would sometimes chase them all off.  A. KESTRELS watched safely from the telephone wires.  Here is a short list of some of the species in the Woodland area:

35+ N. HARRIERS

35+ RED-TAILED HAWKS

3 BALD EAGLES

3 ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS

8 A. KESTRELS

150+ SANDHILL CRANES

40+ TUNDRA SWANS

11 GREAT EGRETS

2 COYOTES

Throughout the day, the rain and hail were mixed with rapid sun breaks.  It snowed on the way home.  It was a great day.

Good birding,

Lonnie Somer

Olympia, WA

wheelermombi at comcast.net