[Tweeters] Great Blue Heron male/female distinction

M&M Kirschner mnmkirschner at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 20:02:52 PST 2009

Hi Tweeters,

I was asked today by someone how you could distinguish the male and female
GB Herons from one another. I remembered being taught that it had to do
with the feathers around the neck and head...I shared that. BUT I was
looking for more info and suddenly discovered all this conflicted
information. Some indeed mention the neck/back mane, other's mention a
plume, other's say there is no way to tell, while others mentioned leg
color. So, I'd like the FACTS and that way I can quickly correct any
misinformation I passed on.

If you TRULY know the answer to this question I would really appreciate it
if you passed it on to me - there is just way too much misinformation and I
don't want to pass it on.

Thanks,

Maurie