[Tweeters] birds in the news and lots o' mystery birds (links)

Devorah Bennu birdologist at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 11 13:35:41 PDT 2009

hello tweeties,

i am back in the USA after three glorious (and educational) weeks abroad. i am already exploring the possibility of permanently making my life overseas. I imagine that the mystery birds will gain that truly international flair that I've long desired if this does work out!

this week's issue of Birds in the News has been available for a few days for you to read and enjoy. This issue features a lovely image of a Chatham Island (Mollymawk) Albatross, Thalassarche cauta eremita;

the most recently demystified mystery birds also include an analysis by our favorite birding teacher, Rick Wright, that you will enjoy reading;

Terry Sohl's image of a leucistic House Finch, Carpodacus mexicanus;

Joseph Kennedy's Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Polioptila caerulea;

Richard Ditch's Streak-backed Oriole, Icterus pustulatus microstictus;

here's today's mystery bird -- a real cutie -- for you to identify, courtesy of Terry Sohl;

and yesterday's mystery bird, courtesy of Joseph Kennedy -- I'm not sure that anyone can ID this bird, but give it a try anyway;

Roosting high up a tree somewhere in Central Park, NYC