[Tweeters] Early Annas

David Hutchinson flora.fauna at live.com
Wed Mar 11 20:48:13 PDT 2009

Dan Harville has just written to me of a breeding record from Victoria BC, referred to him by Cam Finlay. Year unknown, but banded bird on eggs approx Jan 25. Same bird hatched second brood in first half of March. Closer to the S.Calif pattern. This might lead one to assume that because there is mild weather on southern tip of Vancouver Island, this was a factor. But the same could also be true of Western Washington. Not sure we have enough clutch dates for a good sample. What is interesting though is that early
nesting dates may be based on length of daylight. S.Calif female annas have moulted and are in bredeing condition before Xmas and the same is likely true for e.g. Seattle, judging by the external appearance of our birds at feeders and the willingness of males to perform dive displays at New Years, which I have often seen.