[Tweeters] Advice for swallow nest box placement

Josh Hayes josh at blarg.net
Fri Mar 13 09:01:26 PDT 2009

Hi tweets,

Ed Newbold was kind enough to send me a beautiful swallow nesting box to
mount on my house. I have two real options for nice high locations that are
predator-free, so here's the question: southern exposure, or eastern? I'm
afraid the southern exposure, which'll get full sun most of the day during
the Summer, will overheat. So I'm leaning to one of two locations on an
east-facing wall: both get good morning sun, but are shaded in the
afternoon. Any advice?

Oh, and the south-facing wall is only about 15 feet from the house next
door; it might make exit and entrance a little tricky (not for swallows,
though, I guess, aerobatic wizards that they are), while the east-facing
wall looks out across a pretty big back yard.

-Josh Hayes, Licton Springs (North Seattle)

There is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent. - Mao-Tse
Tung