[Tweeters] Advice for swallow nest box placement

Kristi Hein khc at picturesandwords.com
Fri Mar 13 17:58:47 PDT 2009

I vote for the eastern location. It sounds very much like our nest box
spot. We chose it in emulation of the swallows themselves: when we
bought our house in 2005, they were nesting through a breached soffit
vent under the garage eave. We rescreened the vent and offered them a
nearby nest box in 2006; it didn't take long for them to claim the new
digs.

They did well in 2006 and 2007. Last spring was not so good, but it was
bad all around, not just for our swallow family.

I will be interested to hear whether you have to fend off House
Sparrows, and whether the lozenge shape of the opening in the nest box
from Ed keeps them out.

Good luck!

Kristi in Anacortes
khc