[Tweeters] Vantage 3-14-09

Scott Downes downess at charter.net
Sat Mar 14 17:11:47 PDT 2009

Spent a quick morning checking out Vantage. Nothing rare, but had a few decent birds a couple of season firsts for me.

On the Vantage hwy., sage sparrows and mountain bluebirds were out in force, I also managed to pick up one male SAGE THRASHER near MP 20, which is the first for the season. Also at this location was about 40 Elk on the south side of the Vantage Hwy. I tried for Vesper Sparrow and Brewer's Sparrow, but probably a couple weeks too early for Brewer's, though time is just about right for Vesper to be returning. Had Townsend's solitaires in several places at Ginkgo and other stops. Say's phoebe were out in force as were rock and canyon wrens singing. Chukars were calling in a few places and lots of violet-green swallows over the Columbia. The pacific loon that has been wintering below the Wanapum Dam spillway was still there.

A decent morning with some good birds. Coming back through Ellensburg I toured the valley roads where several great-horned owls were on nests.

Scott Downes
downess at charter.net
Yakima WA