[Tweeters] Central WA this week_ flycatcher?

Joseph V Higbee jvhigbee at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 14 16:00:23 PDT 2009

Spent Wednesday through Friday mostly in Grant county with stops coming and going. The first stop on the way was at the end of the road below Gingko Sp where I was very surprised to see and photograph what appears to be a very early HAMMOND'S FLYCATCHER. The rest of the trip until coming home was somewhat slow with the expected few ducks, swans, cranes, (no good photo ops yet), larks, deer and so on. I stopped in Kittitas county at the Quilomene entrance on the way home and was greeted even before I could get out of the van by a SAGE SPARROW and so I grabbed the camera and lens, the 500mm, and took some shots. Then before I had time to think about getting the tripod out two MOUNTAIN BLUEBIRDS came by. After that I just packed it in and headed home, happy as could be.

Some may remember the trouble I had last year identifying a Loggerhesd Shrike. Well this trip I photographed a Northern Shrike in almost the same location and in a similar pose. I have put the two together to show the difference in appearance. I doubt I will ever have the problem again after this side by side view of the way they sit.

Photos at: http://www.pbase.com/jvhigbee/c_current

Joseph Higbee
Spanaway, WA
Mailto: jvhigbee at hotmail.com